- Hand wash in warm water using a soap or detergent and then rinse out thoroughly in fresh clean water. If you prefer to machine wash then keep the temperature to a maximum of 40 degrees C and use a good detergent.
- DO NOT wash without tightly knotting the elastic straps.
- Reshape the mask after washing and before drying, this stops shrinkage.
- DO NOT wring or twist to dry. Ideally hang it and allow it to drip dry naturally. Can be tumble dried on a medium setting.
- Iron at a low temperature if required, but don't iron the elastic.
- Cleaning your mask won't change a thing if you don't store it properly. Once you have a clean mask, put it in a closed plastic container or a new plastic bag by itself.
- If you want to go the extra mile, write or stick a note with details about when you last cleaned the mask and the method you used. This will prevent cross-contamination and you'll be able to tell for sure if the mask is safe to use or not.
In between short term uses or if washing a mask is not an option, here is what you could do:
Spray the mask (BOTH inside and out) to saturate with either 60% ethanol/ethyl alcohol (or greater percentage), or 70% isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol (or greater). Allow to air dry. This assumes that you have alcohol available in a spray bottle.